Sunday, June 19, 2005

San Diego


In early May I took a trip to San Diego for a conference. The conference itself was good. I learned a few things, practiced my networking skills, and reconnected with folks I've met in previous years.

I'm not a great fan of California, but I really enjoy San Diego. I had visited the zoo 5 years ago when I was there for the same conference, so this year I decided to investigate the rest of Balboa Park. There are a number of museums there - I particularly enjoyed the Mingei International Museum. The picture here is of a sculpture outside the Mingei. The museum is a folk art museum showing "arts of the people". There was only one exhibit on display the day I was there. The exhibit was of the art of the Indonesian archipelago. I was particularly impressed by the wood and metal stamps that are used for creating patterns on batik fabric. They have an amazing level of intricacy.

I also visited the Museum of Photographic Arts. I was mesmerized by an exhibit of the photographs of Edward Burtynsky entitled Manufactured Landscapes. Burtynsky has taken pictures of strip mines, ship salvage yards, quarries and the like. There is a beauty to the photographs that is unexpected from pictures of industrial sites.

No comments: