Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Deepest, Darkest

I'm a woodworker.

Now you know my deepest, darkest secret.

What? You already knew? Oh, right almost everyone who knows me knows that, and those who don't know me or don't know that can follow the link to my workshop and figure it out.

What you probably don't know is that I've gone over to the dark side, wood wise.

I haven't developed a jones for ebony, yet, but while at one of my favorite suppliers on Thursday I was drawn to a gorgeous slab of wenge. It was the deepest, darkest piece of lumber I've ever wanted to get my tools on. Many kinds of wood have found their way into my shop - pine (not so much lately), maple, birch, aspen, cherry, mahogany, walnut, and even zebrawood and purpleheart. I've been pretty much a light to medium wood kind of girl. Wenge isn't the right texture for the project I'm working on, and it costs more than I was ready to spend, but boy was it attractive.

The wenge didn't come home with me, this time. But now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a small amount into the next project.

P.S. This picture I just added (Sunday night) is an ornament I made for family and friends for Christmas 2005. I've made an ornament (different designs) almost every year since 1999. I've missed two years both because of work obligations. There are pictures of a few other creations in my flickr account (link to the right).

More: Sunday Scribblings

8 comments:

paris parfait said...

I wish I knew how to work with wood. I can understand your affinity and appreciation for beautiful wood. The only bad thing about beautiful pieces of furniture made from wood is the old things that can suffer from woodworm - a fast-spreading curse that eats a chair half to death before you notice it and can treat it! Sigh. Sounds like you have a fascinating job!

Regina said...

My husband is a woodworker- he built most of the furniture in our house! His love for different kinds of woods is amazing!
What kind of things do you make?

Unknown said...

My husband is a woodworker. My father is a woodworker. I adore beautiful wood. I love going in to the small shops with my husband and see the various cuts of many different woods and imagining the possibilites of what they will be crafted into.

Anonymous said...

Ooh,I'd love to see what you can make from that wood. Woodwork is gorgeous.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love dark wood and loved all the carvings I saw when I lived in Africa. The sad thing is that the darker the wood the more likely to be tropical hardwood and the more likely to be endangered....

Chelle said...

One clarification - woodworking is my passion, but not my job. I'll try and get some pictures of my work posted soon.

gautami tripathy said...

I could never work with wood. Glad to know someone who does.



gautami
Stranger in the Mirror

Shelley said...

Nice take on the prompt, Chelle!